Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ethnography Results, Week 3

Culture at Sweet Eugene's House of Java
Tuesday February 15, 2011
5:30-7:30pm 

Quantitative: 

All quantitative information is only taken from the spaces that I was able to observe from where I was sitting.

Totals for the evening:
Reading: 2
On Computer: 9 (4 Macs, 6 PCs)
Headphones on:4
Using phone at least one: 8
Electronic book: 1
Studying (w/wo computer): 22
Guys: 7
Girls: 16
Alone: 12
Groups of 2 or more:4
Were there before I came in, left while stay: 2

At 5:30pm there were 13 people sitting at the “Living Room Space”
At 6:00pm people have left, but others have come. 13 again, it seems to be the average
At 6:30pm 12 people…
At 7:00pm 10 people...
At 7:30pm 8 people...

Qualitative 

My location
Today I’m sitting at the ‘Big Living Room’ space. I was thinking it would be a good idea to observe each of the different spaces the coffee shop provides each time I come in so I can get a feel of the different environments patrons can obtain from each space.

This space has brick walls and painting hanging around, with arches and lamps sitting around. It certainly looks like a big living room... There are 7 sofas and around eight tables in the room. The tables can sit up to 25 people (with the chairs that were already in the room). Sofas invite patrons for reading or studying with few materials, a notebook, and/or a textbook at the most. Chairs and tables will more likely be used for studying with many things out, and maybe in a group.

It is a really quiet place; I see much more interaction in the middle room (where I was sitting last week). I suppose the students who choose this space know they can have a quiet reading time when they are here, however there are no written signs indicating it's a quiet area.  

The Employees
The employers seemed to be a bit more outgoing than last week. The service is pretty fast so there really isn't much time for more conversation. However, I did notice a patron who got there behind me, and as soon as he got there he was greeted by one of the employees. After that, I noticed the employee took his food to his table, and asked him if those were the chips he wanted, if not he could go and exchange them. I'm not really sure if that's how all patrons are treated by employees, I will try to observe and contract in my following visits.

The customers
All of the patrons who were sitting in this space seemed to be students. From now on I will refer to them as students. Majority of them were wearing comfortable cloths, shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes - just like majority of college students dress to go to class at A&M. Only a few of the girls were wearing more dressy cloths, boots or dressy shoes. There was one girl that caught my attention she seemed to be very athletic - tall, slim, wearing athletic clothes and accessories including backpack, watch fluorescent green stripes tennis shoes, and even an athletic drink.

Students and Study Groups 
There were only four small groups (2) of students, and strangely enough, three of them sitting at sofas (contrary to what I thought) with some study materials out and they were all girls. Most of the time they were quietly studying or quietly discussing their studies. Again, this contributed to the quietness of the place... 

Studying alone
It seems like this space is heavily sought by students who decide to have some quiet time of reading or studying alone. Majority of the people that was there were by them selves. Four of which at some point were only reading. Two of them were studying with different study materials (other than computer) for example one girl got there and sat in one of the sofas and started reviewing flash cards. Another girl had her own mini white board where she seemed to be practicing some math related problems. The rest of the students, including me, had their computers out along with other study materials.

A Place of Meetings for the Education College
This week again, I saw the same lady I saw last week, but this time she was leading a meeting with maybe 15-20 girls in one of the smaller spaces (the one right across the counter, in the middle of the coffee shop). I asked my roommate, and in fact there was a schedule meeting for the student teaching girls.

Use of Electronic Devices while studying, an Aid or a Distraction?
As it is noted in the top quantitative data, this week I observed students who were using their electronic devices while at the shop. Even though I was in a very quiet area, almost every student that was there, took out their phone at least once, some of them more than once for sure. 

Only four people out of the nearly 22 that were present at some point, did not have a computer out while they were there. These students seemed to be doing readings or practicing problems (making reference to the girl with the mini white board). 

Surprisingly enough, not many students had their headphones on... maybe they did not need them since the place was quiet enough that allowed them to focus in their endeavors - I believe listening to the music you like can help you concentrate in whatever you are doing if you are in a crowded place. 

For the rest of them who did have a computer, only two of them I observed (besides me) did not have any other materials out, and to my surprise they both were girls, and they both sat at the exact same place (a sofa towards the back, of course one after the other one left). 

Only one girl was reading out of an electronic book, she did not have anything else out but the e-book device.

No comments:

Post a Comment