Monday, February 7, 2011

Ethnography Results, Week 1

Use of Electronic Devices while Riding the Bus

Route# 26: Rudder
Times of observation:
     - 7:00am - 7:30am (Earliest Ride Available)
     - 8:45am - 9:15am
     - 4:06pm - 4:26pm
     - 3:45pm - 4:15pm

During this first week's trial, I tried to focus on two main points: the type of electronic devices used by the students, and to observe the impact that the time of the day has over the student's behavior.

Between the students' favorite devices figure all kinds of smart phones as well as iPods and other touch screen music players. The vast majority of students can be observed to use devices, either phones or music devices, with at least a 3'' touch screen, and with a set of earpiece headphones connected to their device. During the time I spent riding the bus, I was able to notice that only those students with this type of device description would keep their phones out, holding in their hands. Not that the rest of the students do not have such a device, but what I mean is that very seldom did I see a student using an electronic device that did not fit this description, and if there were, it was just a momentary usage (receiving/ sending a call or text message).

 7:15am (Monday) I catch the bus at The Trails At Wolf Pen Creek bus stop. This stop is in the middle of the route, if I'm lucky I will get an open seat, by the next stop, not more seats open. I suppose many of the students riding the bus at this time in the mornings is because they work morning shifts, at least I do! Maybe others just want to avoid the rush for their 8:00am 's, but still, this is a crowded time to ride the bus. It is early in the morning, I'm still a bit sleepy, I suppose many other students are as well. At this hour in the morning, I see at least half of the students in the bus with the headphones on. I wonder if music has an awakening effect that reduces the student's sleepiness? 

4:06pm (Monday)  At the Trigon stop, waiting for the bus. I can already see some students with their headphones out. At this time a day, when they are leaving campus, probably for the day, students are rarely seen studying or reading. However, there is always an exception, I just saw a girl with what seemed to be a lab book and reciting the bones (or muscles, maybe) of her hand. As I said, this is not very common to happen, since students just got out of classes and the least they want to do for a while is continue studying. During this time, I see a few students making or receiving phone calls, some longer than others. One or two students will be in the phone since they are waiting for the bus, until they get off at their destination. Also, this is the time where I can see more students playing games with their phones. Some of them are word games, some of them are blocks games, but some other, well some other are action games! I saw this one male student playing some kind of action game; he was so into the game that his was moving his hands like if he was playing in a gaming console with a remote in his hands...

9:00am (Tuesday) At the Trails at Wolf Pen Creek bus stop. Again, the route is crowded. Arrive to campus around 9:15, just in time for the 9:35am class. At this time, there are students doing a bit more then just listening to music, two or three might be reading a book, and another two or three studying or going over some notes. There are still those, that rather be listening to their own music than that the country station the bus driver has chosen.

An interesting fact I realized, is that students are encouraged to "Go Mobile," even by our own bus system. If students have internet in their phones, which means they must have a smart phone with a data plan activated, students can have access to knowing for example at what time is the next bus coming, or even to see the complete schedule. "m.tamu.edu" is the mobile website created by out university webmaster that gives students the benefit of not waiting anxiously for the bus, just check when the next bus is coming and you will be happy! (Picture courtesy of the 'm.tamu.edu' webmasters blog).

Even though I think this could be a viable observation project, it does not fit the definition of an ethnography. Along with my teammates, we will come up with the best choice for the project, and will create the final proposal for the ethnography.

No comments:

Post a Comment