Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ethnography Results, Week 2

Culture at Sweet Eugene's House of Java
Thursday February 11, 2011
5:30-7:30pm

Quantitative:

All quantitative information is only taken from the spaces that I was able to observe from where I was sitting.

Totals for the evening:
Order drink to go: 3
Purchased and stayed (at least an hour) 12
Reading: 2
On Computer: 9
Working with computer and book: 10
Headphones on: 8
Sitting alone: 14
Groups of 2 or more: 11
Visiting: 2
At the shop with no signs of consuming a product: 4

Qualitative

My location
Being this the first time I have ever been to Sweet Eugene’s I was a bit unsure where would be a good place to sit. I decided to go for the middle section. To my right I was able to observe the counter and the space that was between me and the counter space. To my left, I could the see two spaces, one that gave the impression of a big living room, and one towards the back with chairs and tables. In the space where I was sitting there were enough chairs for around 28 people and during the time that I was there, in that single space there were an average of 12 - 14 people.

The Employees
When I first came in, I dropped my backpack at a table and headed to buy some coffee… How could I be at a coffee shop and not buy something with caffeine! A Caramel Java Shake, LOW Fat! The interaction between me and the employers that were currently working the counter was minimum, however it seems like they were having an interesting conversation between them.. While I finished ordering and paying for my shake to the girl, the guy went ahead and started making it.  

I did not notice much interaction between the employees and the patrons when they came to deliver some food or pick up plates.

The customers
Students and Study Groups
To my right there were two girls with some mathematics books out, notes and a computer… they were sitting by the window and seemed really interested in what they were studying.

Another group of three students, two girls and a guy, were sitting by a window. They were studying something that to me sounded like anatomy or something along those lines… However, they were not as interested in their studying, since they had much conversation going, and not necessarily about they studies.

Two other guys called my attention. I think I’ve had a class with one of them. Both seem to be cadets. They both ate some sandwiches and chips; both with headphones on, and after eating they started studying, not much conversation going on.

Studying alone
Two more guys were sitting by a wall, each sitting individually with a computer and coffee by their sides. It seems that they enjoy being alone.

A girl came in after I got here, and left before I did… she was not here more than 45 minutes… She seemed to be reading an article while listening to something as well. A guy came in, bought some coffee and sat with here for about 10 min… finished his coffee and left. She started reading again, and then left. At first it gave me the impression they did not know each other but you never know!

Almost towards the end of my stay I saw two girls, who were also by themselves. Each one of them got there at different times, but they did sit close to each other. They were both reading with no computer out. I wonder if when someone comes in, and sees someone doing something similar to what they have in mind, would they try to sit close to that other person. I observed this behavior twice. One with these girls, and one when one of the two guys mentioned above left, another guy with a computer entered the shop and occupied the place of the guy that had just left.

A Place of Meetings for the Education College
To my left there was a student and an older lady. At first I thought it was her mom, but then I was able to over hear parts of their conversation. Apparently the student was an education major, maybe doing her student teaching semester. The lady was talking to her as a mentor, giving her advice of the better techniques to get the kids attention. How to better present/stand and talk in front of them; the younger girl seemed a bit worried… maybe she was having trouble with her class.

My guesses were pretty accurate. My roommate is an education major doing her student teaching semester, when I got back to my apartment I asked her if she had ever been to Sweet Eugene’s. To my surprise she says yes and explains that many of the meetings she has had for preparation for this semester have taken place there. 

A Place for a Korean Bible Study
To my great surprise, a friend of mine comes in to shop. I hadn’t seen him in while. He asks what I am doing here, so I said I was just doing some homework… If I would have said what I was really doing I would of being weird to explain… plus more than one would have heard me. Anyways, I ask him what is he doing there, and another surprise… He was here for a Korean bible study… Even though I did not observe many minorities at this place, it seems that it is a welcoming place for everyone. I mean, I’m a minority too… and I must say that I did not feel out of place or anything like that… sometimes I get that feeling from some places.

Thoughts for week #3
It was difficult to try to keep track of everything and write down observations. I have been thinking and maybe next week each one of us can concentrate in one aspect. For example, the interaction with employees, students with study groups, the use of technology while at the shop, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment