Sunday, February 6, 2011

Book Reading #16: Opening Skinner's Box

Opening Skinner's Box
Lauren Slater

Chapter 4: In the Unlikely Event of a Water Landing
Darley and Latene's Training
Manual - A Five-Stage Approach

Summary: Slater describes the five-stage helping behavior developed by Darely and Latane: 1) notice an event is occurring; 2) interpret the event as one in which help is needed; 3) assume personal responsibility; 4) decide what action to take; 5) take the action. Darley and Latane performed two experiments that wished to study the behavior of individuals witnessing an event where help was needed, the seizure and the smoke experiment. They concluded that much of the results were dependent of whether the subject believed he was the only helpful resource, or if there were others that could be helping instead of them - "diffusion of responsibility."

Discussion: The crime described in this chapter was so tragic. I don't think such details of the assault were necessary. However, I did enjoy reading about the experiments they performed. The first experiment was really clever in my opinion. The second one was just so real; I think I have found myself in such a position before, where I don't know if something is just fine or it really is an emergency. I think the concept of diffusion of responsibility is very logical, even though it should not be that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment