Monday, February 21, 2011

Book Reading #22: Coming of Age in Samoa

Chapter 7: Formal Sex Relations
Coming of Age in Samoa
Margaret Mead

Summary: Mead describes how the attitude of little girls towards boys is first one of avoidance, however this changes a few years after puberty. She continues to talk about the recognized forms of sex relation, focusing in those outside formal marriage.Mead goes in much detail about the relationships between the unmarried young people.She also discusses their attitude towards virginity, which is not really relevant or required from girls of lower ranks. She also discusses the affairs about a wedding, and how in some cases chastity is important for taupo girls. 

Discussion: I must admit that the whole concept about virginity was really schoking for me. I thought it would be relevant and expected from all girls, not only the taupo. Their custom to ammend adultery is really unique and unexpected. I also enjoyed reading about their traditions for preaparing a wedding, the gift exchange process, etc. I think I was expecting something along those lines, not surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment