Monday, April 11, 2011

Ethnography Results, Week 8

Paola Garza
April 7th, 2011 (Thursday)
9:00 am-11:00 am

·    
·         Reading: 1
·         Computers:  ( M 3 P 2 )
·         Headphones on: 2
·         Studying (with studying materials w/wo computers): 4
·         Visiting: 2
·         Alone  (I could see from where I was sitting, including me): 6
·         Two or more  (I could see from where I was sitting):   7 groups
·         Patrons that seem not be students (if any): 12
·         People that came in and left while I was here: 2
·         People that were before I came in and left while I was here:  4
·   
·         Guys: 5
·         Girls: 13

My Location:
Today I’m sitting in a very particular location, and under very particular circumstances. I had never been here during the week at a morning time. I’m sitting in one of the couches that were recently set in the space right to the door. I have a view of the counter. I was able to observe more drive-thru activity, as well as well as more frequent purchases. There was actually a line… During the past weeks I would come at times where even though it was crowded, there wasn’t a long line waiting to order.

The Customers:
As I mentioned above, a really different crowd from what I’m used to.

There were two men sitting in the middle room, dressed with suits. Businessmen, maybe. There was also an old men who had some coffee and pastries, and was reading the news paper. Then he went back to the counter to buy some more coffee. He reminded me of a man  I saw on a Sunday morning who was a drinking some coffee but instead of reading the newspaper he had a computer on his lap. I figured he was reading some news online.

There was also a young man who seemed not to be a student because of the way he was dressed, but he was reading a book and taking notes on a computer.Other students, majority girls, also went up to the counter to buy some breakfast and came back to the tables to do some studying.

Majority of the students that were coming in at this time were buying some breakfast, including me for the first time, and started studying right away.

At this time in the morning, I observed more activity in the drive-thru. Even though it was really quiet, the place wasn't empty at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment