Sunday, January 30, 2011

Book Reading #7: Opening Skinner's Box

Opening Skinner's Box
Lauren Slater

Chapter 1: Opening Skinner's Box
B.F. Skinner's Rat Race

Summary: In this chapter, Slater discusses much of the work and life of B.F. Skinner. Lauren emphasizes the areas where he had most recognition in, but also those that even though not recognized, he did influenced greatly. Even though she starts the chapter by describing what many people think of him, and how they describe him, she gives a turn and starts describing his work and life from her own point of view, and the information she gathers from his daughter Julie.

Discussion: Before reading this chapter, I had not much knowledge about who B.F. Skinner was, and what he represents for the psychology field. I think I had heard a little about him, maybe a couple of years ago in a psychology class, but not much details about his work and life. I was really surprised by the first couple of pages describing Skinner, but then as she explained it from her own point of view and his daughter's testimony I realized he was not that "evil," as Slater thinks many people would describe him. I can't say I completely agree with all of his claims, but I am interested in reading more about positive reinforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment