Monday, March 28, 2011

Ethnography Results, Week 7

Paola Garza
March 27th, 2011 (Sunday)
6:00-8:00pm

·         Guys: 6
·         Girls: 7
·      

Interesting Facts:
There was a police car outside when I first got there with the lights on. I wasn’t able to figure out what he was doing, I didn’t see anything out of the order.

There were around three of four girls who place a table outside, close to the main door who were representing Coffeemate. They were giving out promotional items including notebooks, t-shirts, etc.

My Location: Mirror’s Room
I first sat in the very back of the middle room (close to the restrooms) but then I saw a person leave from the first middle room, so I decided to change locations since I wanted to see the experience the place from this different space where I hadn’t been before.

This little space is in the heart of Sweet Eugene’s. It has two main entrances, one is big, one whole wall is open and connected to the hall where the counter is. The second entrance is part of a wall, connecting it to the middle room.

In this room there are four couches; one for three people, one for two people and two for one person (I’m sitting in one of them).  There are also two “living room tables” which in reality are chests. As decoration there are 22 mirrors in total, hanging in the walls of this small space, they are all different sizes and different styles. Very original. In addition to the real mirrors, there are two open spaces in the wall, which may very well give the impression of mirrors. There is only one painting in this room, and it’s a really abstract one of a man dressed in red.

I don’t think I had noticed this from any of the other places, but in part of the shop there is a big speaker in one of the corners playing some soft music. Not boring, but the kind that you don’t really notice when you are doing something else. From this room I have view of spaces of the coffee shop that I didn’t have a view before, like the bar next to the counter, the tables next to the entrance and a few tables in front of the counter. And of course, this space itself.

This small room invites patrons for reading or just working on a computer, like I was doing and a girl in another couch was doing as well. I don’t think students could really work in here with study materials and all. It is a really dark room, there are only three lamps (which do not really give very much bright light) lighting the room.

The Employees:
Employees are always nice and friendly, but do no really make much conversation with customers, at least not with me.

The Customers:
In the room there is a guy reading The Hobbit, he seems pretty interested in the reading and the music doesn’t seem to bother him. As I said, I think this kind of music can actually help you concentrate in what you are doing.

There is another girl with a mac computer in one of the other couches. All she has with her is the computer. Not study materials.

From inside the room I have a view of some tables between this room and the counter. Three tables to be exact and, one more from the very entrance. In these tables I see students working on  their computers and study materials. 

I hadn't had a chance to observe the bar next to the counter. Throughout the whole time I was there, there was always at least two people sitting there with computers out. Majority of them seemed to be there alone, and did not stay there for very long. I don't think it is a very comfortable place to be studying. 

After the other girl left, two more girls came in and left their stuff there. Then two more guys came in and sat in the same couch. Apparently, they were together. There weren't there for studying, only for chatting. One other guy came in afterward and sat in the same couch where the other guy was sitting. He also started reading.

It was a really interesting and different experience from the previous weeks of study.

No comments:

Post a Comment